Thursday, July 28, 2011

Our relationship with God is like a garden...

Why is it that sometimes I suddenly feel distant from the Lord?  Oh duh, Kelli, it's because you're a human being and it's so easy to let your human, selfish desires take more importance in your life over God.  So while this can get me down and really make me feel like I'm a failure of a Christian, I then suddenly realize that I'm human.  Plain and Simple.  I fall down.  I mess up.  The good news is that I realize when I'm getting this way and make a choice to ask God to redirect me on to His path.  And he's always right there waiting to take me back.

Do you ever feel this way?  That somewhere among our busy lives, we just simply fall out of our routine with God?  Pretty soon we're not reading or praying everyday, it's every other day. And before you know it a whole week has gone by.  How pathetic is that?  That in our 24 hour day, we can't even find 5 minutes to give to God.

I kind of see our relationship with God like a plant or a garden.  It needs continuous work and help in order for it to flourish.  If we forget to water it (read our Bibles and pray) and weed it (get rid of the junk in our lives that prevent us from getting close to God), then the garden dries up and dies out.  Think about that for a second.  Have you been away from God for awhile, and realize that you just feel empty inside?  That there's something missing?

Lately I felt like my garden was drying up so I decided to make it a habit to water it daily and weed it.  God is gracious and His mercies are never ending...He knows your heart.  If you desire to be close to Him again, it doesn't take much to get there again...just ask.  Sometimes it doesn't come easy, so do whatever it takes to get close to God.  If that means setting an alarm on your phone for a certain time everyday, then by all means, do it!   For me, I try to do it before bed because I feel that I sleep better.  

That's where I'm at with my life right now and I just wanted to share it.  I hope that others who may be experiencing this can see that getting back into routine isn't hard.  I strongly recommend listening to some Hillsong music...Wow does that music ever just put me in the mood to worship God.  He is great!

I'm not ashamed to share it! So enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Great passage I stumbled upon this weekend :) Thought I would share- "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." - I Timothy 4:12 NIV

    ReplyDelete